OK, I know I’ve been a bit absent lately and I apologize. I’ve had a lot going on in the month of April, but all that is over with and I’m ready to move forward. You should be ready for the month three workouts at this point. The purpose here was to use more weights that were a little heavier so these workouts are broken into 3 sets of 10 instead of 2 sets of 15. I still did them in a circuit format where I cycled through all the exercises once and then started over until I’d done everything three times. These workouts still only took about a half hour to complete not including any sort of pre and post workout prep and stretching. Alright, here we go!
1. Goblet Squat: Hold a dumbbell to your chest and perform a squat. Remember to keep your weight back on your heels and your back straight. 10 reps.
2. One Arm Shoulder Press: Standing with a dumbbell in one hand and at shoulder height, press the weight over your head. Repeat with the other arm. 10 reps each side.
3. Suitcase Dead Lift: Holding a dumbbell in one hand at your side, squat down like you’re putting it onto the floor beside you and then stand back up with it still in your hand. Remember to keep your back straight and if you can’t get the dumbbell all the way to the floor without bending your back, only go as far as you can and then come back up. 5 reps with the weight in each hand.
4. One Arm Chest Press: Lay flat on a bench or on the floor. Hold a dumbbell in one hand with your arm straight and the weight suspended over your face. Bend your elbow and lower the weight until your elbow is at the same height as your shoulder. Push the weight back up. 10 reps each side.
5. Split Squat with Weight in One Hand: Stand with one leg in front of the other with a dumbbell in one hand. Bend your knees and lower your body towards the floor. Push back up to the starting position. Do 10 reps, then put the other foot in front and the weight in the other hand and do another 10 reps.
6. One Arm Bent Over Row: Holding a dumbbell in one hand, bend forward at your hips and keep your back straight. While in this bent position, pull the weight up like you’re rowing. Do 10 reps each side.
7. One Arm Standing Triceps Press: Standing with a dumbbell in one hand and suspended straight over your head, bend your elbow to lower the weight behind your head and push it back up.10 reps each side.
8. Repeat exercises 1-8 two more times so that everything has been done three times.
9. Ball Rollouts: Kneel on the floor with your hands on an exercise ball. Keep your butt and your stomach very tight and roll the ball forward as far as you can without too much difficulty. Return to your starting position. 30 reps with rest as needed.
So that is workout number one for our third month. You probably noticed I’m having you do the upper body exercises one arm at a time. While you’re doing these I want you to make sure you keep your core and abs tight. You’ll notice that by doing exercises with the weight in just one hand, you will be working your core at the same time. That’s why the routines for this month do not have much core exercise at the end of them. Also, make sure you’re not leaning to one side to compensate for only having a weight in one hand…that’s cheating and you won’t be working your core like you should.
These workouts should be a little harder than the month two workouts, but nothing you can’t handle. Just remember to pick a weight that is challenging, but doable. Have fun!