In an attempt to maybe help others and myself get and stay motivated, here is my very first “get back in shape” exercise routine that I did on my very first Saturday. Give it a try. It’s not that hard, but I definitely felt it the next day!
1. Single Leg Bridge: Lay on your back with your knees bent. Lift one knee toward your chest and keep it there. Hold your butt and abs tight. Now lift your butt off the floor with the leg that’s still on the ground. 15 reps on each leg.
3. Single Leg Squat: Stand on one leg and squat as low as you can while keeping your weight on your heel. Try not to lean forward too far. 15 reps on each leg.
4. Shoulder Press: I used band resistance, but you can also use light weights. Start with your hands at your shoulders and push them up overhead together. You will need to stand on the other end of the band. 15 reps.
5. Side Step Ups: Stand sideways next to a chair of bench. Put one foot on the chair and step up. Up and down 15 reps on each leg.
6. Triceps Pushup: With your back to a chair or bench hold yourself up on the edge with your hands on the seat of the chair behind you. Lower your butt towards the floor and then push back up through your hands. 15 reps.
7. Single Leg Romanian Dead Lift: Stand on one leg and bend forward to reach for the floor while you swing the other leg out behind you. I like to reach my arms out in front of me like in the picture. It helps keep my back in the right position, especially when you’re just learning this exercise. Remember to keep your back straight the whole time. 15 reps on each leg.
8. Bent Over Row: I also used band resistance for this, but you can use weights. Stand on the band with both feet. bend over at the waist keeping your back straight. Pull up bending your elbows and squeezing your should blades together. 15 reps.
9. Repeat exercises 1-8 in order
10. Front Plank: Lie on your stomach and prop yourself on your elbows. Tighten your butt and abs. Lift your whole body so that all your weight is on your elbows and toes. Take 1 or 2 deep breaths then come down to rest. Repeat 5 reps.
11. Side Plank: Just like the front plank except laying on your side on one elbow and with your feet on top of each other. Again tighten your abs and butt making sure you’re in a straight line from your head to your feet. Lift yourself off the floor and take 1-2 deep breaths. Rest. Repeat 5 reps each side.
12. Bird Dog: Get on your hands and knees. Hold your butt and abs tight. Reach your right arm out in front of you and your left leg out behind you at the same time. Take one deep breath. Return to starting position. Now reach your left arm and right leg out and take one deep breath. Alternate back and forth until you have done 15 reps per side.